Thursday, December 02, 2010

Insomnia...but not mine.

Superman is teething his top molars. I hate molars. They have managed to turn my perfectly sweet, happy almost all the time kid and turn him into a cranky, nothing will please me, let me scream and kick and flail my body about kid. Seriously, I need to take stock on my dealing with teething strategies because clearly the Tylenol/ibuprofen and here have something to chew on combo we are doing just isn't enough. But that is for me to deal with after this post. First? I need to tell you about last night.

It started out okay. My husband did the usual night time routine, I went up to nurse him and put him to bed and although he stirred for a little bit, he fell fairly quickly into a nice sleep. Then 9:45 hit and he woke up. We let him fuss for a while and just when it looked like he was going to go back to sleep, he woke up and started screaming again. My husband went in with some gripe water and tried to soothe him. After that didn't work, I got called in.

I got him to drink the gripe water and he even was quite content just cuddling in the rocking chair with me. I switched the way I was holding him so I could see his face and at that point realized that although he is quite content and calm...he is wide.freakin'.awake. Ugh!

Over the next 3 hours I try everything I know to get him to fall asleep. We laid on the floor together...he tried to play and climb all over me. We went downstairs for some milk...I realize he is hungry and he downs 2 containers of fruit puree and plays independently for about 30 minutes while I whine on Facebook. I defrost some milk and we head up stairs...he drinks the milk, goes to bed, cries for a little bit and does fall asleep, but then I get up to turn the monitor on and leave...and he wakes up again to scream his head off. I leave him in his crib to cry, but finally decide to lay down on the floor to try and get some rest.

He ended up falling asleep at around 3:00-3:30...and then woke up at 6:30. The 3 or so hours in between? Oh I was still on the floor, sleeping, for fear that he would wake up again if I stood up to turn on the monitor and leave. Yeah, I was sticking to my sleeping bag on the floor, it didn't matter if my back was screaming at me or not. It would still be better than Superman screaming.

So there you have it. My 11 month old kid had insomnia. At least that is what I am calling it because really, I have no idea if his teeth played a part in this or not. He only cried when he was in the crib and come on, you and I both know that was more about being pissed that he was in there than the teeth. Whatever caused this night from hell, I hope it is done with our family and will never been seen from again.

No comments:

Post a Comment