Monday, December 13, 2010

A New Kind of Uniform

 A fellow mom (of adorable twin boys) sent me the following message recently:
If you need a blog topic can you ask your readers about Mommy wear?  I've found that since I've become a mom I live in sweats and t-shirts or those soft track suits, stuff that is easy to wash and wear and hides stains well. I hardly ever wear pants that have buttons or zippers.  (My Husband) calls it my uniform. I wonder if there are other moms out there that find themselves in the boat or if I'm just weird?
My gut reaction was to give her some advice on what I do, but then I realized I am the last person that should give advice about this and frankly, could benefit from some other people's advice as well.

According to the Fly Lady we should be getting dressed and ready for the day every morning.  In fact day 2 of her BabySteps tells you:
Today I want you get up and get dressed to lace up shoes when you first get up in the morning. This means fix your hair and face too.
So when I was a new mom trying to figure out this whole "stay-at-home mom" thing I jumped at this idea.  I made a little alteration to it since the first thing I do in the morning is feed Superman and then workout.  But as soon as I am done working out, Superman goes down for a nap and I shower and get dressed.  Sounds like I am great at this right? Okay, not so much.  Let me be honest with you for a moment.

1. Up until 2 months ago, my hair went into a pony tail every.single.day.
2. I do not wear make-up.  I hardly wore any before I had a baby, I'm not going to start wearing it now.
3. Getting dressed included shorts or jeans and a solid color t-shirt every.single.day.

So you can see I need help too!  Do you have any tips on great "mom clothes" that are easy to care for, hide stains well, and are comfortable, but still look like we are somewhat put together?  I will admit that I am secretly hoping you all tell me that you all are struggling with this too.  It won't help any of us look better, but I will feel a little less like a disheveled mom and a little more like a normal mom just hanging in there. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment