Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Time Change and Sleep

I Hate Springing Forward!!
I have to say that this time change is kicking my butt!  I have never had such a difficult time making the transition.  Maybe it is because I have a two month old that still thinks it is the old times which means going to sleep later, waking up later, and naps....well forget about the naps they are just f-ed up.

Sleep, or the lack of it
Last night I went out to dinner with a friend while hubby hung out with Baby S.  I had a great time with my friend and hubby did his usual awesome job taking care of our kid.  I was gone long enough that he had to feed him a bottle.  Unfortunately, stupid me made a rookie mistake and didn't pump before heading to bed.  So, I woke up at 2:30 this morning completely engorged and in pain.  Baby S was sound asleep so I snuck downstairs and pumped.  As I was finishing up guess who I heard?  Yup! Baby S was stirring.  I was hoping that he would just fall back to sleep, so I snuck back upstairs and was about to get back into bed when it became clear that he had woken up and was thinking he might like to eat.  Ugh!  Now became the dilemma, do I warm up some pumped milk or try to feed him myself?  I decided it was worth trying to feed him myself and fortunately that seemed to work...except for the fact that he did not then want to go to sleep.  He was wide awake and grinning at me...his grins are the cutest thing in the world and I couldn't help melt when he started it, but then sleepiness took over and I wanted the grin to go away, the eyes to close, and sleep to begin...for both of us.  It took me almost 2 hours to get him back into bed.  This is SO not like him. 

Today hasn't been much better in the sleep department.  I have something that I do almost every morning of the week.  While I am out Baby S always gets his morning nap.  It works out perfectly...until it doesn't.  He normally falls asleep in the car, today he didn't.  He normally sleeps through my weight watcher meeting(more on this later), today he didn't.  He normally wakes up around the time we return, hangs out for awhile, eats and then by 1pm is asleep again for an afternoon nap...today he is cranky and refusing to sleep.  I am trying to hold strong and not go up to him as I listen to him fight sleep (via the monitor).  He isn't crying, just fussing with moments of silence in between.  He is getting really good at soothing himself and falling asleep on his own, so I don't want to interfere if I don't have to.  I have given him another 15 minutes or till he starts crying, whichever comes first.  Wish me luck!


Hugs,

Mommy C

No comments:

Post a Comment