Friday, July 22, 2011

A Day in the Life of Mommy C

Back when Superman was born I really struggled with the feeling that I was accomplishing nothing during the first few months.  I was home full time.  Shouldn't I have a perfectly clean house? Shouldn't I have laundry done and dinners made? Why could I not find time to get these things done? What was I doing all day?

As I mentioned this to friends, I surprised to hear that I wasn't the only one that felt this way.  I got several tips on how to find time to clean/cook/do laundry (thanks Fly Lady!), but the piece of advice the most unique piece of advice was from a fabulous mom named Karen.  Instead of a to-do list that she went through everyday, she had a journal where she wrote down everything she did as she did them.  Diaper change? Write it down.  Nurse the baby? Write it down. Showered? Write it down.  You get the idea.

At the time I didn't really appreciate the advice.  I thought it was a neat idea, but really I just wanted to have a clean house again.  Now that I am home with a toddler and a newborn the idea of finding time to clean is laughable right now.  I barely have time to pee, let alone scrub a toilet or dust the end tables.  My husband went back to work today and as I thought about what I wanted to do today, I remembered Karen's advice and this post series was born.

From time to time I am going to post a "Day in the life of Mommy C" where I catalog all the things I accomplished that day.  I think it will be interesting to see how the lists shift over time as the boys grow and their needs change.  Most importantly, I hope that it reminds me that even when I don't accomplish anything "productive" around the house, I am actually being quite productive.

A Day in the Life of Mommy C

16 diapers changed (5 poopy ones and I only got peed on 1 time)
5 outfits changed
7 cuddle and play sessions with Superman (after nursing Mr. T) including 
2 times- playing with the trains with S
1 time- playing with the cars with S
1 time- coloring on the easel with S
10 minutes searching for the missing purple ball
2 loads of laundry started
1 load of laundry folded
1 walk to the playground and then around the neighborhood
13 wipes of S's nose (Go AWAY allergies!)
2 meltdowns by Superman
5 time outs given for throwing and hitting
1 story time and nap for Superman
1 nap taken by me
3 times- letting the dogs out 
3 times- yelling at dogs for barking (actually it is more like 15 times but I figured each trip out would count as one)
(approximately) 161 minutes spent nursing (by 7:45pm - still have at least 2 more nursing times left today)
1 trip out to the Washington Square area to pick up pictures and my earrings 
1 nursing session done in the car while the toddler watched a video and shared a Jamba Juice with me.
1 drive home while trying to soothe Mr. T 
At least 65 hugs given
3 meals served (pizza delivery counts right?)
3 snacks given
5 sippy cups given
2 tummy time sessions with Mr. T
1 Sesame Street episode started to give me a break for a few minutes
1 blog post written
1 Tour de France stage watched

Not bad for my first day alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment