Monday, January 30, 2012

A rough patch in my SCD world.

I have not blogged.  I have so much to say and no time to say it.  I also don't seem to have time to clean my house, but that is another rant.

What am I doing that is taking up all my time?  Well, being a mom first and foremost.  But the reason that I feel like there is no time in my life for anything that I used to do? Well, that would be because I now live in the kitchen. And if that wasn't enough, just when I got into a groove with what I ate, life through me a curve ball.

About a week ago I started to not feel so great.  Some of my old symptoms were creeping back into my life and I couldn't figure out why.  My gastroenterologist had given me info on FODMAP and after looking that over, I thought that maybe I was eating too much fructose.  Apples were a staple in my diet, so I decided to remove them first.  I felt okay for a couple of days, but then the symptoms returned and today was the worst day yet.

In fact, I hit a real low today.  Not only was I feeling sick and completely exhausted, I was mad at the universe.  I was not supposed to be feeling sick anymore!  Why am I doing all of this cooking, all of this modifying of my diet, if it isn't going to do any good?  In fact, I was so frustrated, I almost went out and bought a pack of M&Ms and a diet coke.  But I didn't.

The only thing that kept me from cheating today was that tomorrow is January 31st.  Tomorrow, I will have done the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for one whole month.  And if today I cheat?  I would be pissed at myself. So I didn't cheat.

Instead I am making muffins.  Scrumptious blueberry muffins from the Eat Well, Feel Well cookbook (a cookbook that has so many good recipes that I would still eat the food even if I wasn't on the diet).  I am also regrouping with some research.  It turns out that it isn't all that uncommon to have relapses in the beginning.  As far as I can tell, there is no real rhyme or reason for it.  Some think it could be because people are eating things they aren't supposed to and don't realize it (whether it be through contamination or just not realizing a food is illegal).  I am pretty sure that isn't my case, but I won't rule it out.  I am going to watch my fructose intake and limit my apples, raisins, and honey.  I am not going to eliminate them yet though because emotionally, I don't think I can go another week without an apple (anyone that knows me well knows that apples and cheese is my favorite snack).  

Most importantly, I need to remember that I was feeling better.   Although the bloating hadn't completely gone away, it was gone most of the time.  I have had a lot more energy and I stopped feeling swollen and inflamed.  These results are great steps to my overall health and I need to remind myself that I am in this for the long haul...no throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

No comments:

Post a Comment