Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Fly away home...

I am a disorganized person.  I try really hard to be organized and clutter free, but sadly I fail miserably.  It doesn't help that I have ADD and am normally medicated.   Despite the fact that I have actually been off medication most of my life, I don't do well that way.  I went off the medication when we started trying to get pregnant and continue to be off them so I can nurse Superman.  That means I have been off for a whopping 2 whole years (but who is counting?).

I don't know why I think that now that I am a mother I should be able to be more organized and less cluttered.  Maybe because I believe in the 1950s house wife and want to be the 2010 version??  Okay, I know that sounds looney, but there is something perfect about having a clean home, the meals cooked from scratch, and the laundry done 100% wrinkle free.  I mean I am home now, shouldn't I be the one responsible for all of this?  Isn't it my duty to take care of Superman AND the house?

Well it turns out that you really have to find a happy medium somewhere (why does everything have to be a happy medium?).  After talking to several people I have learned that those 1950s house wives? Yeah, they ignored their kids for the most part.  One person told me that her mom sanitized her and her brother's nursery every single day and what did she do with her kids during this time? Stuck them in the play pen and ignored them.  She looks back and remembers her mom cleaning, not playing with her, reading books with her, or singing songs with her.  So how do I want Superman to remember me?  I want him to have memories of singing, and dancing, and playing with me. So the balance....I still need to do some cleaning, but not when Superman is awake.  So if I am going to accomplish all that I need to accomplish during his nap times and have some downtime for me, I need a system. 

I think I once wrote that I was joining Fly Lady and she was going to solve all my problems.  Well, she has this Fly Baby intro program thing where you add one thing everyday, but some days were lame and I just didn't get into it.  However, I still thinks she has the answers for me.  So, I am going to spend a couple of days reading through all the intro days, figure out all that I need to know, and jump in with two feet.  I feel like I can do it better when I know the whole scope of the program and can get started from day 1. 

If you don't know Fly Lady, I highly recommend checking her out.  She will teach you how to shine your sink and let me tell you...it is oddly satisfying.  Seriously.  The intro on her welcome page starts like this:
Are YOU living in CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) like Franny in the pink sweats? Do you feel overwhelmed, overextended, and overdrawn? Hopeless and you don't know where to start? Don't worry friend, we've been there, too.
 How can I not feel like she can solve all my problems when she describes me to a T?? So stay tuned folks, I will give you updates ever so often about my progress.  In the meantime, if you are living in CHAOS? Go check her out and learn to shine your sink.  It will make you smile.  Promise.


TTFN,

Mommy C

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with FlyLady. I've tried it before and, like you, some of the rather lame days just turned me off. However, I did incorporate some of her principles into my own program...which works. Well, it works when I do it--which hasn't been lately. Yes, my house is an utter disaster. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete