Friday, June 25, 2010

Operation Deswaddle Update

If you missed the back story on this, you will want to read my last post here.

Tuesday night (bedtime):
  • Put S down on his back, awake at around 8:30ish.  Within 20 minutes he was asleep. Yes, the first 5 were cooing, but the next 15 were him crying.  We persevered and it was worth it!
  • He slept till about 3am and then woke up for his usual feeding. Then, instead of protesting when it was time to go back to bed, he went straight to sleep!!!! 
  • He then slept till I woke him up in the morning. 
Why do I think he slept so well? Well, my fear that he was close to rolling from back to front was validated because he slept on his tummy for almost the whole night!! I think I officially have a tummy sleeper.

Wednesday naps:
  • Each nap started with some tears, but he would settle down fairly quickly (read: roll over onto his tummy and fall asleep).  
  • He seems to be sleeping better during his naps than he used to...less stirring and cooing mid-nap. 
Wednesday night:
  • We have an expert sleeper (and roller) on our hands. He went down to sleep easily and went right back down to sleep after nursing during the night. 

I could keep going with the rest of the week, but the gist of it all is that he has been sleeping fantastically! He goes down relatively easily (sometimes there are tears, but not for very long) and seems to sleep better than he ever has.  He rolls to his belly almost as soon as I put him into the crib.  He also likes to sleep with his hands under his face which is just about the cutest thing ever.
S sleeping- first full night without swaddle
I am so glad that we deswaddled when we did.  He was old enough to roll to get comfy and to self soothe (I think that is the biggest thing) and yet he wasn't so old that he was frustrated that we changed the system on him.  I would like to believe that it was my mommy instinct that knew that this was the right time to do it...or that S some how communicated to me that this was the right time....or maybe I just got lucky.

TTFN
 Mommy C

    2 comments:

    1. Oh when they at last roll to their tummies and get a good night's rest it's heaven. I know back is best, but once they're rolling there's not a lot you can do and I mean I like to sleep on my tummy too. It's comfy! Congrats on the milestone!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Ellie likes to go to sleep on her tummy too...with her face wedged into her crib bumper. Scared the crap outta me initially, but she breathes just fine and eventually ends up in the middle of her crib anyway. Dang babies :)

      ReplyDelete