Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Last Meal

Many people I know have made the new year resolution to lose weight, get healthier, get stronger, or run in X race.  While I don't typically make resolutions, it seems 2012 is going to be about all of those things for me. 

Tomorrow I start the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.  The diet is not for weight loss, it is for healing my small intestine.  However, it is my hope that as it begins to heal and my body becomes better at absorbing nutrients, it will be easier for me to reach the rest of my goals.

In the past when I have started a diet, I have tried to avoid the "last meal" temptation.  If my goal is to truly lose the weight, then 1) I shouldn't be eating enormous amounts of calories now and 2) I want to be able to sustain the "diet" so I always had the plan to work my favorite "unhealthy" foods into my eating.  Unfortunately, this diet isn't that flexible.  There are foods that are legal and foods that are illegal and a few foods that aren't legal till later, but for the most part it is black and white. 

So when I decided that I wasn't going to start the diet till January 1st, I had two many reasons for waiting. 1) I needed time to prepare and 2) I wanted to enjoy my favorite "illegal" foods a few more times. The last several weeks have been packed with eating whatever I wanted, no matter how unhealthy it was.

On the list? Cookies, chocolate, and M&Ms mostly.  About a week ago I realized that I wouldn't be able to have beer either so I have enjoyed several beers this week.  Then last night we headed to Hopworks Urban Brewery for a "last meal" consisting of their awesome pizza and beer.  It was a perfect way to end these few weeks of gluttony.  While I am not sure it would my real "last meal" of choice, it was exactly what I was looking for.

So if you were to have a "last meal" before a specialized diet like mine, what would it be?  

No comments:

Post a Comment